So I've stated several times that Odyssey was built on a now dead language and that I'm in the process of converting to VB.NET to keep along with the VB theme (in case someone else takes over down the line). I've decided on a few big changes to the Odyssey engine though to help speed the process along.

In case you are unfamiliar, I started a project called BSGame that is basically a 2D game library. It is custom built for my own needs, but I think it should also work very well for Odyssey as well. Therefore, while you as users will not see any immediate change, this will greatly speed up conversion since the entire library is already built and I just need to tailor it for Odyssey's needs.

Second, Odyssey scripting will also be receiving an upgrade. Since I was not given the source for the scripting (and it is written specifically for VB6) I will be dumping the language and move the scripting over to BSGame.Scripting which is based off of Lua. Do not worry too much though if you plan on reviving one of your old servers. I will be creating a new converter to convert your entire server over to the new formats INCLUDING your scripts. If your scripts cannot be converted, you can contact me and I will do my best to help work it out for you.

No promise on when I'll be done, just a couple things I wanted to share about the future of Odyssey.

posted by Mycal | November 22nd, 2010 at 4:19pm

← Back to index.